Why Are Mushrooms Growing In My Garden? Is It Good or Bad?

Why Are Mushrooms Growing In My Garden

Why Are Mushrooms Growing In My Garden? Is It Good or Bad?  It is good. Seeing two or three mushrooms growing in your garden should not make you panic. This is because mushrooms in the garden almost always indicate that the garden is healthy.

Fungi reproduce through mushrooms. Fungi plus bacteria are important for the creation of good plant-supporting soil. Therefore, when you see mushrooms, it means there are fungi in the soil, which means that the soil in your garden is very healthy for plants. 

Healthy soils are those that have got numerous beneficial microbes as well as beneficial earthworms, nematodes, protozoa, fungi, and bacteria. Because these things promote plant growth and development in various. Therefore, when you see mushrooms in your garden or lawn, they show that the soil has a healthy amount of good microbes and good micro-organisms. 

Mushrooms are a sign of good soil

When you see mushrooms in your garden or lawn, it is a good indicator that your property has got good soil. Good soil in the sense that it is very organic. Because mushrooms can only grow in soil that is rich in organic matter. 

As mentioned in the section above, fungi reproduce through mushrooms. So when you see mushrooms, just know that the soil beneath has fungi. For fungi to reproduce, they decompose organic matter from shrubs and trees. They are particularly known for decomposing decaying twigs, mulch, tree leaves, tree stumps, and tree roots. 

What the paragraph above means is that when mushrooms appear, it most likely means that the soil underneath them is rich in organic matter. It also means that the soil underneath them has fungi that can digest decompose hardy stems and leaves, which can form thatch. Thatch measuring more than 2 cm in thickness can make soil pool by hindering the movement of fertilizer, water, and air to the ground underneath. 

In summary, mushrooms in a garden indicate two things. First, they indicate that the garden has fungi in it that can decompose decaying leaves, twigs, stems, and roots. This is great because it means thatching is nearly impossible in the garden. Second, they indicate that the garden is rich in organic matter courtesy of the fungi and other micro-organisms. This means most plants will probably do well when grown in the garden.

Mushrooms can be poisonous

Generally, when you see mushrooms in your garden or lawn, it means the soil underneath is very healthy in the sense that it is rich in organic matter. Because as we have established above, mushrooms only grow in soils with a lo9t of organic matter. So when you see mushrooms growing in your garden, it means many plants can do well in it. However, mushrooms can be poisonous. This means there can be times when seeing them in your garden should make you worried.

A great number of mushroom species are known to be poisonous. Experts can easily identify them after a quick inspection. Therefore, it is a possibility that the one, two, or three mushrooms you are seeing in your garden are very harmful. However, the possibility is very slim. Because only a handful of mushroom species are known to be poisonous and they typically grow in wild places.

So if you are in an urban or peri-urban area and you spot mushrooms in your garden or lawn, just know that it is quite unlikely that they are poisonous. Nevertheless, if you examine them and suspect they are poisonous, you should uproot them and dispose of them safely. You should do this quickly especially if you have kids or pets, or if you spend a lot of time in your garden.

When uprooting mushrooms you suspect to be poisonous, you should wear safety gloves or use tools that will allow you to dispose of them without touching them or them touching you.

You should NOT eat unknown mushrooms in your garden

Mushrooms are an important food in many communities across the world. However, while some mushrooms are edible, some are poisonous. And to the untrained eye, it is difficult to tell which mushrooms are edible and which mushrooms are poisonous. For this reason, you should NOT eat mushrooms from your garden because there is a risk that it could be poisonous. Some mushroom species are so poisonous that they can kill you. So do not risk death, by eating mushrooms that pop up in your garden or lawn.

Most experts advise that if you are interested in eating mushrooms, you should only eat a species that you are 100% sure is edible. If you have any doubts about any mushroom species, you should not eat it. Or you should send clear pictures of it to an expert to get them to identify it for you.

Three rules will help you to avoid poisonous mushrooms. First, avoid mushrooms that have white gills, a volva, or a ring on the stem. While not all mushrooms with any of these features are poisonous, some of them are including some deadly ones from the Amanita mushroom family. Second, avoid mushrooms that have a red stem or cap. Again, not all red or reddish mushrooms are bad but some of them are and they are not good for your health. Lastly, avoid mushrooms that you don’t know. This is the most important of these three rules. If you forget everything else, do not forget this.

What the last rule above means is that even if a mushroom does not look poisonous based on the other two rules, you should not eat it if you do not know what exactly it is. To know about a mushroom in your garden, look for expert organizations in your city or region. Send them several picks of the mushrooms in your garden. Chances are, they will know right away whether it is edible, inedible, or poisonous. If it is edible, they will probably also have information on how best to prepare it for consumption. 

The best way to eliminate mushrooms from your garden

Mushrooms only grow in soils with organic matter. They specifically grow in soils with rotting wood. This is because the fungi which produce them survive by decomposing decaying wood. Therefore, the best way to eliminate them and reduce their likelihood of appearing in your garden again is to remove all rotting woody material.

Mushrooms can also be reduced by replacing the woody plants in your garden with leafy ones. This will change the composition of the organic matter in the soil resulting in a less favorable environment for the growth of mushrooms. This is because the leafy plants and their decomposition will promote the balance between fungi and bacteria.

Lastly, mushrooms can be eliminated by ensuring the soil in your garden is well-draining and well-aerated. Mushrooms usually appear after a period of extra moisture in the soil. So by making sure your garden soil is well-draining and well-aerated, cases of excess moisture will be rare making mushrooms less prevalent.

Never use a fungicide to destroy mushrooms

When mushrooms appear in your garden, the easiest way to remove them is to apply a fungicide. However, this is not recommended. Why? Because mushrooms indicate the presence of fungi and other important micro-organisms in the soil. Killing mushrooms with a fungicide, will also likely kill beneficial fungi and these other important micro-organisms. This will make your garden soil poor and make it difficult to grow other plants/ crops.

So avoid using a fungicide or any other chemical to eliminate mushrooms when they appear in your garden or soil. Just follow the steps in the section above this one to eliminate mushrooms. If you are not bothered with the mushrooms, you should let them be. After all, they will disappear almost overnight if you give them time.

Summary

Mushrooms in your garden show that your garden soil is rich in organic matter. So they are a good thing. However, some can be poisonous. So get rid of mushrooms you do not understand to avoid endangering yourself or your family.